Sunday, August 1, 2010

3951 BBY: Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force: The Second Sith War


Our next source in the Star Wars Chronology Project come from my favorite text to examine: Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential guide to the Force.

In the Star Wars universe, the events of 3951 BBY are summed up with the words of Master Bodo Baas. He recounts in one of the holocrons the events of the second Sith war, beginning with the turn of Revan and Malak, and ending with the destruction of the Sith triumvirate and the disappearance of Revan into the unknown regions of space.

What is interesting of note in this source, is that it is knowingly unsure as to what the “correct” account of events concluding the Sith war were. For example, Bodo Baas says it is unclear who really defeated Darth Nilihus: “According to one record, Brianna, an attendant to Jedi Master Atris, defeated the Sith Lord Darth Nilihus. Another record indicates that the Miraluka Jedi Visas Marr was involved in killing Nilihus, while still other records suggest that Nilihus slew Marr” (JvS 23).

As was said earlier, what is unanimously agreed upon, is that after destroying his apprentice Malak, Revan disappears from recorded history, as he searches for the source of evil in the galaxy.

Master Bodo Baas ends his record with the knowledge that the Sith threat after this point in time has subsided, and the Sith disappear for centuries. His final words are ominous: “…and it was believed the galaxy was at last safe from their dark order.” Emphasis, of course, on the word ‘believed’. Master Baas’ record sets up nicely just exactly what the Sith were up to in this supposed time of peace.

For my next post I’ll be examining the Galactic Timeline record from www.swtor.com ‘Peace for the Republic’. Until next time my friends, may the Force be with you.

4 comments:

  1. I have to get this book.

    I have now read through your blog (but skipped over those which I haven't read myself to avoid spoilers). It has been a pleasure, and it was nice to see that you have enjoyed your journey too.
    KOTOR games are the biggest single obstacles in your way, but just wait until you get to years of Clone Wars or Rebellion. When tv-series ends, almost every week of the Clone Wars will have been chronologised in some source, and the Rebellion years are already that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jedi vs. Sith is a truly awesome source of Star Wars knowledge. I highly recommend adding it to your library.

    Thanks for reading along. I'm glad you've enjoyed my musings so far.

    I've wondered what I'm going to do with the Clone War series when I reach that point in Star Wars history. I've thought of dealing with each episode, one at a time, in chronological order, (For example, the episode Cat and Mouse from season two comes before the events of the Clone Wars movie) and making a post for each, or simply dealing with each season in its own post, and highlight and comment on some of the most interesting episodes in the season.

    I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do when I get there.

    Cheers
    MKB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe reveiw characters from each? Just an idea. Blog about the characters and how they are involved in the story.

      Delete
  3. I think focusing on the characters exclusively may be too limiting. I think when I get to the Clone Wars series I'm going to deal with the show in story arcs. For instance, using season 5 as an example, I'll engage with "Eminence", "Shades of Reason", and "The Lawless" as one large narrative and do one post on all three episodes instead of doing a post for each one.

    ReplyDelete