Wednesday, July 4, 2012

32 BBY: Episdoe 1 Adventures: Search for the Lost Jedi: Novel & Gamebook


In my post on Handling 32 BBY I had the collected Episode 1 Adventures listed as one source I was going to examine, but now that I’m at the threshold of these books I’ve realized I’ve grossly underestimated what these books actually are, and I’ve come to the realization that each one deserves its own write-up. So in the spirit of my chronological journey I’ve decided I want to look at both the novel and game book as one item. 
To be honest, when I was going through the sources I’d have to look at for this year in Star Wars history I didn’t have an appreciation for how noteworthy these books are.  I bought adventures 1-4 last year, and when they came in the mail I quickly placed them on my bookshelf without really looking at them.  As I started to approach these books for my quest I began to look at them a little more closely.  Adventure 1, Search for the Lost Jedi, is itself 85 pages in length, and has a narrative significant enough for discussion.  Not only that, each novel has attached to it a game book.  I really didn’t know what they were all about, but after taking a look at this website, I think I have a clearer understanding of just how much material is actually here. 

To make matters more complicated, the entire series is difficult to collect.  Not impossible, but it’s defiantly out of my price range.  Amazon has all the titles listed at very low prices, but it’s the shipping and handling that’s killer.  But to make matters even more problematic, the game books are few and far between.  If I can get my hands on the novel, I may not be able to get my hands on the game book.  So, in an attempt to remedy this situation I’ve turned to my library’s interlibrary loan system, but even then I can only place three requests at a time, and once the first three have come in I can put the next three on request. Ultimately, it’s going to take me a while to fully engage with these books. 
To that end, I’m going to make 12 place-holder posts for each book, and simply engage with each as it comes in (novel and game book), if they even do come in.  I apologize for the deluge of e-mails you are going to receive if you’ve subscribed to my blog with your e-mail address.  As it is, once I’ve made my place-holder posts, I’m going to move on to Tales #3, The Death of Captain Tarpals.  So until then my friends, may the Force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment