Tuesday, August 28, 2012

32 BBY: Battle for Theed


The Battle for Theed is the first of its kind: a comic based on a Star Wars RPG.  Though it’s only three pages in length I found the concept neat enough.  You can find the comic at the bottom of the page here (thanks Plaristes).
I can see the Darkhorse publication now: Star Wars RPG Adventures. Each adventure is played by guest RPG’ers like Stackpole, Anderson,  Zahn, and Karpyshyn.  At each session there is a secretary recording the events and an artist sketching out the adventure as it unfolds.  Bill Slavicsek is, naturally, the GM.  What an RPG lover’s dream!

The Battle for Theed is a source with minimal story, but the creation of an in-depth narrative wasn’t its purpose.  Its purpose was to excite new role-players to the re-booted Wizards of the Coast RPG product.  This little comic was totally awesome and a total gem.  Daniel Veesenneyer’s art was fantastic.  I truly love the art found in RPG materials of any kind. 

Interestingly, this story is written my Michael Stackpole who is mostly known for his work on the X-Wing series (to me anyway).  Who knew he also worked on Dungeons and Dragons back in the late 70’s?  I certainly didn’t.  It defiantly increases my opinion of him.  I love that he’s a Star Wars author who’s also a gamer. 
As it is, I’m excitd to find out what happens to Deel, Arani, Sia-Lan, and Rorworr as they passed the security door and into the room of the unknown.  I suppose the end of this story will come in the Invasion of Theed RPG package.  Unfortunately it’ll be a while before I get there.  There is still lots to look at in the year 32 BBY.

For my next post I’m going to look at the Journals of Anakin Skywalker, Queen Amidala, and Darth Maul.  Until then my friends, may the Force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment